Pages

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Movin' Right Along

Tuesday 8 May 2012 Lat 27 60S Long 146 23 W, 250 miles S of Raivavae 110 miles ESE of Rapa, and 630 miles SSE of Tahiti
-Course 310 deg Wind W 20 kts Boatspeed 8.5 kts Sunny, balmy, no flying fish yet

Things are finally as they should be, almost. We've been able to dry out most of the wet stuff on the boat, except the carpet. Yuk.
We're reaching along in the trades, except westerly instead of the normal southeasterlies, but we're not complaining..
The wind went a little light in the night, so we motored a bit on Bill's watch. But the wind came back up in the morning and off we go.
Hopefully, the wind will keep up. We don't expect find diesel in Raivavae, so our fuel needs to last until Tahiti.

We listened to more Jimmy Buffett and Eileen Quinn today and we're studying our French Polynesian fish guide.

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

Monday, May 7, 2012

Left Turn

Monday 7 May 2012 Lat 30 18 S Long 145 39 W 172 miles S of Rapa, 400 miles S of Raivavae and 770 miles south of Tahiti
-Course 330 deg Wind SW 19 kts Boatspeed 7-8kts

After a day and night of 22-30kts of wind on the nose, we're FINALLY, out from under the interminable northerlies and have been lifted 90 deg. We're still on starboard tack, but at least it's a reach and the boat isn't heeled all the time. Last night was beautiful: mild, 15kts breeze and moonlit, although the seas were still rough. But at least we're not taking waves over the boat and their related leaks have stopped.

Today, the sun is out and it's finally warm enough to wear shorts! We are so relieved to be pointed where we actually want to go.
We're 2 days from Rapa, arriving after dark, which would require standing off all night waiting to enter the coral strewn harbor in late morning when the sun is high and at our backs. Might just as well sail the extra day or so to Raivavae. So it's back to plan A.

So we can dry out somewhat. When we get ashore, there will be lots of stuff to wash before can go play. Most likely, we'll be ferrying water in jugs to fill the ship's tanks, as well.

Although we're still bored out of our skulls, we're feeling much encouraged. We listen to Jimmy Buffett to cheer us up too.

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

Sunday, May 6, 2012

We're still here

Sunday 5 May 2012 Lat 32 24.6 S Long 146 08 W 300 miles SSE of Rapa, 530 miles S of Raivavae and 1,000 miles south of Tahiti (What the heck are we doing here anyway?) If we're not careful, we'll end up at Pitcairn Is in another week.
-Course 30 deg Wind N 27 kts Boatspeed 3.8kts

When we changed our landfall to Rapa, we had hoped to arrive today. It seems we're always 3 days away.
Being Sunday, we listened to an Aretha Franklin and Mavis Staples gospel CD. I don't think the spirit moved anybody more than we were already bouncing around. Bill is still fighting motion-sickness, believe it or not.

The breeze came back up and since yesterday afternoon, we've been sailing slowly eastward waiting for a low to pass over us. It was a pretty bumpy and boisterous night. It's hard to sleep as the waves toss us around. This morning, a wave tossed Mark holding a milk carton across the cabin to the nav station. Fortunately, Bill was there to break the fall and mop up some milk. Every move in the galley has to choreographed around the pitching and tossing motion of the boat. The stove's on gimbals and is always moving. The sink is the only safe place to set anything down.

When the wind lightens, then maybe we can tack. Lord knows what'll come tumbling down inside the boat as we tip to the left after 2 weeks tipped to the right.

For those of you waiting for email from us: sailmail is really difficult and slow down here. So bear with us. We'll respond when we can.

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

Friday, May 4, 2012

Heaven Forfend!

Friday 4 May 2012 Lat 33 19 S Long 150 13W -Course 55 deg Wind N 10 kts Boatspeed 6kts
And yes, still on port tack, but we're going to have to tack to avoid an unnamed reef up ahead.

Bill's actually driving the boat! by hand! It's the first time the wheel's been touched by human hands since we left Cook Strait nearly 2 weeks ago.
The windvane works great on most points of sail, but doesn't steer as high as the boat will point on the wind. So Bill took the drastic step of steering himself.
The wind's gone light, down to 10kts and we need to make some progress north.

will this trip never end.....?

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

Still on port tack...

Thursday 3 May 2012 Lat 33 51 S Long 152 26W -Course 55 deg Wind N 17-25 kts Boatspeed 7kts Landfall is now planned at Rapa, French Polynesia. We hope to arrive in a few days. It's quite remote with a small population and no encircling reef like Raivavae.

We can't seem to make much northward progress and we're still on port tack. We manage to keep just ahead of a succession of lows dropping down from the north. Tacking onto starboard would put us in high winds. We did slow the boat down to 3.5 kts overnight in 22-27kts and really lumpy seas. Waves were frequently washing over us. That has lessened.

Things have smoothed out today and winds have moderated for awhile.

Temperatures continue to warm into the 70s. But, the boat is pretty damp inside.

boring boring boring.....

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Slogging to Windward

Wednesday 2 Mayl 2012 Lat 34 55S Long 155 01W -Course 35deg Wind N 17 kts Boatspeed 6kts

Ditto

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

Slogging to Windward

Tuesday 1 Mayl 2012 Lat 36 24 S Long 157 35 W -Course 35deg Wind N 1710 kts Boatspeed 6.8kts MOL

Seas are rougher than the winds would suggest, so we just slog along. Every once in a while, we take a seasickness pill, which takes us from merely dull-witted to catatonic.
Nonetheless,we really shouldn't complain too loudly. It's just tedious, not really a gale or storm.

If the wind comes up a bit more, we'll have to reef, slowing the boat down. Ironically, the motion may increase when we lose the dampening effect of the larger sail.

Dinner last night was lentil sausage and ratatouille stew and tart lemon yogurt. The smoked salmon is all gone.

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com